What it Means to be Maritime
We created Maritime around an idea - education should be meaningful, children should love learning, and everyone who works with us should feel they make an impact. Our schools have transformed through targeted collaboration, innovative ideas, and an entrepreneurial curriculum that builds leadership and life skills into children.
Our staff and pupils have the confidence to give things a go – and know that failure is an opportunity to figure out a better approach. We want to empower our schools with the means to drive more meaningful and enjoyable outcomes for children. But we also want them to learn how to use our model and craft it to fit their schools - consistency of impact without conformity in approach.
That’s what being part of Maritime is. That’s who we are.
Our vision is to empower schools with the means to drive more meaningful and enjoyable outcomes for children.
- Every child has the right to a phenomenal education – regardless of ability or background
- Education is the best way to fight inequality
- Each school is different, and each child is different
- Children learn best through creativity and innovation – and opportunities to make them the leaders
- Our expectations are of excellence, but how you get there is different for every school – consistency of impact without conformity in approach
- We can support people we believe in for a cause we believe in with relentless passion, perseverance, trust and a good sense of humour.
Collaborate. Within your school, across Maritime schools, and with other schools and organisations we work with.
Innovate. Take these shared ideas and approaches and find new ways to make them work in your classrooms for your pupils.
Educate. Break the barriers to learning so that each child is ready for the future. School should be a safe, happy, and effective place.
Our Trustees and staff broke down the ways we work together and the behaviours that help to foster the environment that makes our vision happen. We’ve also changed our performance management procedures to incorporate our values.
Our culture is based on our key behaviours:
Happy, resilient children, being taught by dynamic teachers who love their work and working together. Children who gain the confidence to give things a go, who are having memorable experiences in fantastic learning environments, and achieving excellent results to set them up for the next stage of their lives.
Want to find out more about what it means to be Maritime? Read some of the books that influenced our founding & ways of working:
- Mindset: Changing the Way You Think to Fulfil Your Potential by Dr. Carol Dweck
- The Happiness Advantage: The Seven Principles of Positive Psychology that Fuel Success and Performance at Work by Shawn Achor
- Payoff: The Hidden Logic That Shapes Our Motivations by Dan Ariely
- Give and Take: Why Helping Others Drives Our Success by Adam Grant
- Originals: How Non-conformists Change the World by Adam Grant
- Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel H. Pink
- Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action by Simon Sinek
- Deep Learning: Engage the World Change the World by Michael Fullan*
- What School Could Be by Ted Dintersmith
- The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups by Daniel Coyle
- The Founder’s Mentality: Overcoming the Predictable Crises of Growth by Chris Zook & James Allen
*most closely resembles our approach to the National Curriculum